A common misconception many homeowners and landscaping companies have is that pruning and trimming are the same. Pruning is a technique that targets individual tree and shrub branches for plant health while trimming involves clipping multiple stems at once for aesthetic purposes.
At Spider Lawn & Landscape, we offer the highest quality landscape services in the Noblesville, IN area. If you want to maintain the health and appearance of your trees, shrubs, and hedges, here’s what you need to know about the difference between trimming and pruning.
Trimming Trees, Hedges, and Shrubs in Noblesville, IN
Routine trimming gives trees, hedges, and shrubs a more uniform appearance by removing multiple overgrown branches at once. It helps the plant maintain its shape and visual appeal.
Without trimming, branches can grow in various directions, giving the plant a wild appearance. Because the growth is often uneven, the tree, shrub, or hedge will look unbalanced. Trimming is also necessary to ensure that the additional branches don’t rob others of essential oxygen, light, and nutrients.
Homeowners typically get trimming services to keep their property looking its best. The service may be necessary once or twice a year, depending on your design preferences. Besides the improvement of the plant’s overall appearance, trimming benefits can include:
- Improved Curb Appeal: A well-maintained landscape will enhance the look of any property. Homebuyers are more likely to express interest in a home that has an attractive exterior with healthy-looking plants.
- Healthier Greenery: Plant leaves need sunlight for photosynthesis, which is how plants produce food. With overgrown branches, lower limbs may not have adequate sunlight. Trimming unnecessary branches ensures that more leaves receive sunlight, enabling healthier growth.
- Creative Landscape Design: Our team can trim your hedges, trees, and shrubs into desirable shapes to improve your landscape design. For instance, we can give trees a rounded canopy or trim hedges in eye-pleasing geometric shapes.
Pruning Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges
Pruning focuses more on tree and shrub health than visual appeal. The pruning process removes single branches one at a time with shears to promote robust growth. Pruning targets dead, diseased, or loose branches, which can be hazardous if they fall.
Homeowners seek pruning services to:
- Encourage New Growth: Cutting away specific branches and twigs allows more sunlight, air, and moisture to reach the inner section of the plant that may otherwise suffer. With more access to these growing components, the plant has a better chance to thrive.
- Prevent Disease From Spreading: Early signs of disease may develop in branches before infecting the entire tree or shrub. Removing the diseased stems can stop the illness from spreading.
- Promote Pest and Insect Control: Some pests can spread diseases to plants or damage them in a way that inhibits growth. Infestations can also spread to other trees or even your home without proper preventative measures, like pruning. Many insects and wildlife prefer dense foliage coverage for shelter. Pruning allows for more air and light to reach the tree’s inner canopy.
Pruning techniques fall into two categories: heading cuts and thinning cuts.
- Heading Cuts: This method stimulates plant growth. The cut occurs above the bud on the stem. When cut correctly, the branch will continue to grow in whatever direction the bud points.
- Thinning Cuts: A thinning cut will remove a branch without intent to stimulate growth. They occur near the point where the stem meets the rest of the tree or shrub.
Call Us Today to Schedule Your Landscape Trimming or Pruning Service
We provide several landscaping services to residents throughout the Noblesville, Carmel, Westfield, and nearby areas of Indiana. Our team offers exceptional trimming and pruning services for trees, hedges, and bushes. Call us at (317) 900-7151 today to request an estimate.